Your startup needs a name, and it may be the most important decision you make. The name of your business has a tremendous impact on how customers and investors view you, and in today’s small world, it’s a world-wide decision.
In determining whether a proposed business name for registration is acceptable, the following factors shall be considered:
- The root word or words of the name shall be considered. (e.g. “Island” instead of “Islander”)
- The business name should describe the nature of the business.
It should be comprised solely of any or all of the following:
- Letters, numerals, and punctuation marks that are part of the English and Filipino language.
- Those which are or whose nature of business is illegal, offensive, scandalous, or contrary to propriety.
Those which are identical or nearly resemble business names already registered with the Department of Trade and Industry, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Cooperative Development Agency (CDA), Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) or any other government office authorized by law to register names, because these are likely to cause confusion or mistake in the minds of the public and prejudice the interest of the owner of the registered business name or firm name taking into consideration the following:
- nature of the business
- product/service handled
- spelling, sound and meaning
- use of dominant/descriptive words and
- such other factors as maybe determined by the BTRCP Director
- Names composed purely of generic words;
- Name which by law or regulation cannot be appropriated;
- Names, words, terms, or expressions used to designate or distinguish, or suggestive of quality of any class of goods, articles, merchandise, or service;
- Names or styles used by the government in its governmental functions;
- The names or abbreviation of names, of any nation, inter-governmental or international organization unless authorized by the competent authority of that nation, inter-governmental or international organizations;
- Names which are deceptive, misleading or which misrepresent the nature of the business;
- Such other names which in the opinion of the Director are undesirable or analogous to the above.